Free School Meals
DID YOU KNOW?
If you are in receipt of one of the following benefits your child is entitled to a free school meal.
- Income Support (IS)
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA(IB))
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) (ESA(IR))
- Child Tax Credit (CTC), provided you do not also receive Working Tax Credit and have an annual income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue, that does not exceed £16,190 (Updated April 2010)
- Guarantee Credit element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Children who receive IS or IBJSA in their own right are also entitled to free school meals.
All you need to do is collect a form from the school office, complete and return it with evidence of your national Insurance number. The application will be submitted to the Local Authority for confirmation and you will be advised accordingly.
Please note that even if your child is eligible for free school meals, this does not mean that they have to take dinners every day. If they want to bring a packed lunch in on certain days, this will not affect your application.
In addition, applying for free school meals will result in extra funding being given to the school by the government. The funding received will be used to provide additional benefits for your children.